Does Common Law Marriage Still Exist in California? Yes and No.

Common law marriage in California

Does common law marriage still exist in California? Did you know there are certain circumstances that common law marriages in California are recognized as valid? We wrote this article to give you the straight scoop.

Does common law marriage still exist in California? It’s a good question and one that is the subject of much misunderstanding. We have heard it all – “California never recognizes any common law marriage”, “men and women don’t have any support or property rights in California until they get married,” and it goes on. Is that true? Or are those who make such statements about common law marriage misinformed?

Keep reading.

Common law marriage in California and the Old versus New West

Marriage is a creature of statute in California. That means a valid marriage entered into the State of California requires that the husband and wife must go through the formal process of the marriage licensing and solemnization laws.

Why is that?

It’s the difference between the Old West and the New West. As California became a State in the Union and our society became more sophisticated and modern, laws were passed that regulated everyday life and traditions. As localities (towns and cities) lost power, the State gained it through those laws and regulations. One of those regulations was the end of common law marriage in California in the year 1895. But that end didn’t mean California will never recognize any common law marriage regardless of the circumstances.

California does recognize a common law marriage in limited situations

The knee jerk statement that others advocate, “California does not recognize common law marriages” is both wrong and lazy. It’s what lawyers state when they know the general rule but not the exceptions. Let’s be clear about what California law is on this subject.

A formal marriage cannot be created in the State of California by a man and a woman’s consent or cohabitation, alone. The key words regarding this law against common law marriage and its invalidity are “in the State of California”. Therefore, if a man and woman live in California and think they have created a common law marriage here by consent or cohabitation here, California courts will likely reject it.

But there is an important exception. California law also states that if a marriage is valid pursuant to the laws of the place, such as a State or foreign country, where the marriage occurred, then California will recognize the marriage absent certain limited circumstances.

So if, hypothetically, another State in the union or even Country recognizes a common law marriage between a man and a woman which was entered there, the man and woman have a proper marriage there through their “common law” status (whatever that may mean in that other jurisdiction) and that man and woman then move to California, guess what? California may recognize it too.

We wrote “may” because these issues are often disputed. For example, the common law wife may claim there is a valid common law marriage and the common law husband may not. The Court ultimately has to figure it out and decide if there was a common law marriage under the laws of the other jurisdiction.

Has a California common law marriage been recognized in a published CA appellate court decision?

It actually has. While it is uncommon (pun is partially intended), a common law marriage in Alabama was recognized in the State of California back in 1986. That is of course not the only instance it has happened but the case called “Marriage of Smyklo” was a published appellate court ruling and an important decision that verified the difference between an invalid, common law marriage in California and a valid common law marriage outside California that was recognized in this State.

But what happens if the man and woman act like a husband and wife in every way?

What about a situation where a man and woman hold themselves out as a husband and wife, have joint bank accounts, commingle their earnings, file joint tax returns, jointly pay debts and even hold property together but they never go as far as getting a proper marriage license or formally solemnize their marriage? Is that a proper common-law marriage in California?

Typically no. But have you asked yourself the following questions?

  1. Does the joint account give an equal right to the money within the account?
  2. Are either the man or woman listed as an alternate payee on a 401(k) or benefit holder to a pension?
  3. Does being on title to the real estate give an equal ownership interest in the house? Does the form of title, tenant in common or joint tenant, matter?
  4. Is there a Marvin claim, which are sometimes called “Palimony” cases?

These are just the starting questions for which you may need answers. Wills, trusts and estate planning concerns come up in such situations and, regardless of whether the man and woman are married, if they have children together, there will be child custody and child support rights pursuant to California’s paternity laws.

Got questions about whether your situation is a valid or invalid California common law marriage?

Nonmarital cohabitation does not mean the elimination of rights pursuant to California law regarding common law marriages. At the same time, a person facing such claims who has taken the position that there is no valid marriage and intends to advocate the Court cannot rule in favor of a common law marriage in the California case, must be vigilant in his or her defense of the issues. The experience of a family law attorney is important here, to assess your case’s specific facts before you plan out what position you can take in the case and your chances of success.

We hope you enjoyed this article about our State’s common law marriage rules and regulations. Check back with us often for additional important and interesting articles. California divorce and family law cases is all we do.


  1. Gabriel says

    My Aunt was with my Uncle for over 30 years my Uncle who passed away about 5 years ago. I want to help my aunt who is having a hard time living with little income. My Aunt and Uncle were never married. But they have had 7 kids.
    my Cousins and myself have all been close since i was a lil boy my uncle was a good person and my aunt who treats me like im her son and Aunt who i respect more then anyone i would really like to get her Social Security from my unle can we do this ? Please let me know and this would help my Aunt.
    Thank you

  2. Regina says

    Insightful article about common law marriage in CA. I was just wondering if my daughter who has been living with a guy in CA for 5 years now, was legally married to him by common law. Apparently it takes MUCH MORE than that to be declared married in CA. THANXOMUCH!!

    • says

      I don’t understand your question. She is not married to him but they have lived together in CA for 5 years? That’s it? I would need more facts before I can comment. She would have to call us directly if she lives in Orange County or L.A. If not, please consult with an attorney who handles matters in her county.

  3. Elisa Capulong Tubig says

    my fiance and I were living together for 8 years and he passed away last year in Nov 2013. My question is, Am I entitle to collect his soc sec benefit since we lived together as husband and wife for the last eight years?

    • B. Robert Farzad says

      Such questions should be directed to an attorney experienced with social security benefits. We are family law lawyers. We don’t handle social security related matters.

  4. Sara says

    I’ve been living with the same man for 22 years. I was 16 & he was 20 when we met. Together we have 4 kids. We were never married. We are now seperating. The first 13 years I didn’t work I was a stay at home mother. I’ve now been working for the last 8 years. The house is under his name only & he has another property he acquired with his father while we were together. My name is not on a joint bank account because it’s a business acct so only his name is on it. I pay what I can such as health insurance for me & the kids, cell phones, car payment & garbage. He pays the remainder of things. Please tell me will I be entitled to anything if I fight?

    • B. Robert Farzad says

      Our firm can help with the child custody and child support issues only if your case is here in Orange County or Los Angeles, CA. Beyond that, you should consult with other attorneys for any other rights or issues. We cannot help with those because we don’t handle such matters nor can we comment about them.

  5. David says

    My partner and I are married traditionally through our family custom but are not legally married. She is trying to add me onto her work insurance but was told we had to go file a common law form and get it notarized which we did. Now the insurance is saying we have to legally get it approved through the state. Is that right. Please help

Leave A Comment

Comments are displayed publically and are not confidential, including the name you enter. Comments do not form any attorney-client relationship.